Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Princess Tiana & her Brazilan BoyToy?


I've recently been coined the term PreTTy.PepperMinT.Princess by a friend of mine & the name has caused my princess senses to go crazy! Researching my princess peers unveiled some interesting news. OH NO! There has never been a Black princess from the hundreds of Disney character's made over the years. Disney's first Black AMERICAN princess is causing controversy already! The Princess & The Frog has a main character, Princess Tiana, voiced by Anika Noni Rose of Dreamgirls. Most of the rest of the characters are black as well, [Oprah Winfrey voices Eudora & Terrance Howard voices James]; all except the prince. Prince Naveen of Maldonia is voiced by Brazilian actor Bruno Campos and is suppose to be black, yet various Disney supporters say he looks more white than black. Some say the black community should be happy we finally have a black female princess and others think the interracial-looking pair is too much for kids to handle. I grew up loving heroines like Mulan [asian], Pocohontas [native-american], Jasmine from Aladdin [East Indian] & of course Ariel [mermaid?? lol]. I am personally not offended by Disney's portrayal & being that I am of the lighter skin complexion for the black population, who's to say Princess Tiana just isn't into lightskin guys?? I MEAN IM JUST SAYING. Not all black people are dark skin! & Not everyone is on their Keri Hilson "brown-skin poppin"! We need to embrace this black oriented Disney movie and also realize the bigger picture, this is the first AMERICAN princess as well, whether black or white. I will definitely support this movie & advise you to do the same! Relase Date: sometime in 2009. Click on the title of the post to view The Princess & The Frog movie sneak peak!


2 comments:

Missie Rich said...

Cute post Caasi! I didn't even know there was a new disney princess!! I am very excited about this! I actually never thought there would ever be an African American Disney princess...that sounds a letter more far fetched then a Black President! I think this is amazing! Yay!

Caasi.Tha.Ca$hieST said...

yesss girl! Im so excited too! Barack is making all types of businesses GO BLACK! lol